SubjectRe: RC5 Challenge - Linux at Top
Date

Russell Coker - Mailing Lists writes:
> I have just investigated this. Mail sent to Mr. Kleen bounces, and there
>doesn't seem to be any reference to this in the LI web site at www.li.org (if
>they really were involved then they surely would plug it as the Linux community
>could do with the $10K and the glory of winning).
> I haven't been able to contact their web server to look at the web pages,
>but I am starting to wonder about the validity of the story. Why would someone
>with a non-functional Email address claiming to represent LI (but without LI
>actually making reference to this) want us all to run his program on Internet
>connected Linux systems? Could it be to collect passwd data from machines
>without the shadow password suite?

Alan Cox, a core Linux developer and a member of the Linux International
Technical Board, has posted a similar message. He sent it to some
Linux International internal mailing lists (which I got since I'm also
a board member of Linux International). This is not an action on the
part of LI, but an action by someone else who is offering to donate to
LI. As such, there's no reason to assume that LI would have any mention
of this on our web site.

linux@linuxnet.org is already listed at the top of the list of generated
keys, and the estimated time to completion is dropping rapidly. I say
we should get on board. I've already got several machines running the
challenge client.

michaelkjohnson

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.089 / U:0.464 seconds]