    SubjectRe: RC5 Challenge - Linux at Top
    There's nothing phony going on. The RC5 challenge has been going on for a
    while; recently somebody on the LinuxNET IRC network proposed that we
    should all set our clients to be from linux@linuxnet.org, and if we win
    the money will be donated to LI.

    I don't know about his non-functional e-mail address. But I'd say you're
    right that he doesn't represent LI. As I said, the idea came up on
    LinuxNET IRC; we don't represent LI but the money is going to LI if we
    win.

    LINUXNET.ORG is owned by Dr_Delete, an upstanding member of the LinuxNET
    community. ;) Mr. Kleen's email may be nonfunctional but
    linux@linuxnet.org is perfectly functional.

    Sources are available for the RC5 keyspace-search client. You should read
    the source before you worry about it uploading your password file.

    Regards,
    Nathan
    (LoanShark on Linuxnet)

    On Fri, 21 Feb 1997, Russell Coker - Mailing Lists wrote:

    > I have just investigated this. Mail sent to Mr. Kleen bounces, and there
    > doesn't seem to be any reference to this in the LI web site at www.li.org (if
    > they really were involved then they surely would plug it as the Linux community
    > could do with the $10K and the glory of winning).
    > I haven't been able to contact their web server to look at the web pages,
    > but I am starting to wonder about the validity of the story. Why would someone
    > with a non-functional Email address claiming to represent LI (but without LI
    > actually making reference to this) want us all to run his program on Internet
    > connected Linux systems? Could it be to collect passwd data from machines
    > without the shadow password suite?
    >

    > Russell Coker
    >

    > > http://zero.genx.net/
    > > http://zero.genx.net/stats.html
    > >

    > > Join the fun! Download the client, and run it with the options
    > > -i linux@linuxnet.org
    > >
    > > Be the shining light of your community!
    > >
    > > If the $10,000 magic key is found by linux@linuxnet.org, the money will go
    > > to Linux International's Linux development fund.
    > >
    > > Start your machines cracking!
    > >
    > > /rc5-client-linux-{i486,i586,sparc,alpha} -i linux@linuxnet.org
    > >
    > > "The shiny one"
    > > Mr. Kleen

    | Nathan Bryant | Unsolicited commercial e-mail WILL be |
    | nathan@burgessinc.com | charged an $80/hr proofreading fee. |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:4.767 / U:0.564 seconds]