    SubjectRe: IDE Disk Problems
    On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, Floody wrote:

    > On Thu, 13 Feb 1997 bofh@snoopy.virtual.net.au wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > > >Your next disk drives should be SCSI. You will probably never replace
    > > >them, only transfer them to other systems when you replace them with the
    > > >latest higher-speed, larger-space units when they become available.
    > > >One-point-two gigabyte drives are now considered "obsolete", you can get a
    > > >few for the cost of a real poor 2 gigabyte IDE drive. The only problem is
    > > >you will need a SCSI Controller and they are not cheap. A good one will
    > > >set you back maybe US$300.
    > >
    > > I have read a number of messages related to the quality of IDE drives and WD drives in particular and I believe that I have to respond to give the other side of the story.
    > > I have had what I consider to be a reasonable amount of sys-admin experience (including running an ISP for over a year). Currently I run 3 OS/2 servers, 5 Linux servers, 2 NT servers, and quite a few workstations. All the OS/2 and Linux machines have IDE hard drives, most of the hard drives are WD (about 10 WD drives in operation now, but I've gone got rid of a few of the smaller ones - 340meg drives aren't much use now). I have not had a single problem with a WD drive that could be attributed to the drive (mis-use of `rm` doesn't count as a drive problem). However with the NT systems running SCSI drives (Seagate and Maxtor drives mainly with Adaptec, NCR, and DPT controllers) I have had heaps of problems. Strange crashes on boot, data loss in running system, systems booting up and suddenly crashing when previously they had worked fine.
    > > Based on the experiences with SCSI the client has now decided to save money and buy IDE - the extra money they spent on SCSI wasn't getting them any extra performance or reliability.
    > >
    > > As for performance, I recall seeing a message from Mark Lord saying that in most Linux systems you won't gain anything from SCSI. Save the $300 on a SCSI controller and get 64meg of RAM - it'll make your system faster and more reliable than SCSI.
    > >

    > > Russell Coker

    [snip]
    > Again, on the performance side, I get upwards of 25MB/s on either of my
    > Seagate UltraWide scsi devices; a measurement that you are very unlikely
    > to see on _any_ IDE drive (note: this is while the system is under
    > considerable load, too).

    How did you measure that 25MB/s ? My 2 Maxtor IDE 2.0G's give me an
    'hdparm -T' value (cached xfer) of 32.0MB/s on a Micronics PCI/IDE
    M54HI-Plus with a iP200 cpu. (My 'hdparm -t' >4.0 ie non-cached xfer) :-)

    John Heil
    South Coast Software
    1-714-774-6952 or 1-714-774-6755
    kerndev@johnhscs.webworldinc.net
    johnhscs@webworldinc.com
    scsftw19@mail.idt.net

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.019 / U:0.560 seconds]