    SubjectRe: IRQ 2,9

    >> So, is there a reason why this information is incomplete (as at 2.0.27
    >> on x86 -- I haven't checked since then)?
    >Well, for the serial ports (yawn! have we got to say this again),
    >the interrupt isn't reserved unless the serial port is in use.
    >The driver won't grab irq 4 or 3 (or whatever) until it needs it.
    >That's a design feature, not a bug.
    >By default, the parallel printer driver doesn't use interrupts,
    >so it won't grab irq 7 or 5 (or whatever) unless you
    > a) load the lp driver - if its a module
    > and
    > b) tell it to use interrupts
    >That's another design feature, not a bug.

    Sounds OK, but given that it's a multi-boot machine, I can't assign
    anything to those interrupts, as that would cause a conflict under
    the crap from Redmond. It would be handy to know what the IRQ settings
    are on a card, even if it's not currently being used by linux. Thus,
    /proc/interrupts might say something like:

    5 WD-8003
    7 parallel port (unused)

    Is this even possible? (the cards in question are mostly old ISA non-PnP,
    with jumper settings for IRQ/base address).

    ``Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. He is at
    best a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and
    not make messes in the house.'' -- from the notebooks of Lazarus Long
    --------------------+--------------+---------------------------------------- | Micro$oft: | Linux, the choice of a GNU generation. | Just say no! | See for details

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.024 / U:42.168 seconds]