    SubjectRe: unofficial pcmcia patch for 2.1.25
    On Tue, 11 Feb 1997, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

    > > I've put a "provisional" new release of the PCMCIA package on
    > > in /pub/pcmcia/NEW. I hope that this will handle
    > > all the issues with the latest 2.1.X kernels, but I made some of the
    > > changes blindly: it will build cleanly with a 2.1.23 source tree, but
    > > I'm still running 2.1.16 so I don't know if it actually works or not.
    > >
    > I tried it with a MultiTec PCMCIA modem with ppp and direct sessions as
    > well as checking whether my Adaptec SlimSCSI gets detected. No problems
    > so far on Kernel 2.1.25.
    > I wish my report could be quite so positive.
    > I tried it with a 2.1.26 kernel, it didn't work. The PCMCIA software
    > recognized the modem card, but the IO ports apparently weren't bound
    > correctly, since the signature of the card wasn't recognized.
    > When I tried my ethernet card, my system locked up when I tried to use
    > the network, and I was forced to reboot it to get the console back.
    > Note a good sign....
    Well, I guess I have to shift in direction to Theo's experience... This
    morning, I wanted to make a backup on a remote machine. So, that's easy,
    I thought. Bah, trying to ping, one ping comes back, and the machine
    locks up hard...

    Well, still my modem works fine...

    Klaus Lichtenwalder, Dipl. Inform., PGP Key: email to,, fax: +49-89-91072699
    Need a (virtual) vacation? Go check:

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.019 / U:5.568 seconds]