    SubjectRe: Bliss virius
    On Sat, 8 Feb 1997, Timothy Peters wrote:

    > I have one or two idears on this
    > a) add a patch to the a.out of elf loader that can detect if the virus
    > is present and prevent it from running

    That stinks of kernel bloat ... What if, under Windows or DOS,
    everytime you ran an executable, McAfee's automagically came up and ran a
    scan. Perhaps having such a thing specifically for BLISS wouldn't be bad,
    but what happens when there are a thousand virii for Linux? Remember that
    BLISS is only a proof of concept, it shows that Linux virii *CAN* exist.
    Now that this is out, there will be a hundred by April, a thousand by next
    year. This is a bad precedent to set ...

    > b) develope a free virus scanner for linux that can detect viri like
    > bliss and allert the operator
    > c)stress the need for good security

    Much better alternatives. McAfee has one, but it chokes when you
    run it from / recursively, b/c it doesn't play well with symlinks ...

    What it comes down to is the lack of security. A unix operating
    system is very, very secure if it is maintained correctly to be secure.
    Too many people believe they are secure b/c they are running a unix
    operating system, even though they are always logged in as root and don't
    know what 'sudo' does ...

    |"We pray for one last landing, | Seth M. Landsman |
    | On the globe that gave us birth. | Dept. of Computer Science |
    | Let us rest our eyes on fleecy skies,| Brandeis University |
    | And the cool, Green Hills of Earth" | |
    | -Green Hills of Earth | "I'm in ninteenth grade!" |
    | RAH | |
    | "Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity" |
    | "Someday I want an office with walls" |

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.017 / U:59.484 seconds]