SubjectRe: PROPOSAL: /proc/dev
Date
> Why not?  If you could give us some good reasons why not then we probably
> will drop it. But several times, I have heard this come up, and never a
> good reason why it shouldn't be done. The two reasons that I have heard are:
> 1) Memory usage -- so if you can't spare the memory, don't use it!
> 2) Lack of user configurablity (IE different permissions, different names)
> -- so we have callbacks through a userspace daemon. Or we let people
> write really simple kernelspace modules. (Basicly a big select and a
> function call or three with constant arguments for each case.)

These are the arguments the proponents shoot down constantly, but they
never address any of the REAL (IMO) problems (although the kernel
space usage is likely to be prohibitive if done anything remotely like
correctly.) YOU REALLY DON'T WANT CALLBACKS -- if you do, then your
device performance and reliability is going straight into the toilet.

At some point I'll probably get my act together and write an FAQ on
this. I'm sick and tired of rehashing the same argument every four
months for about four years now...

-hpa

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.150 / U:0.448 seconds]