    SubjectRe: smb: more than broken?
    Robey Pointer wrote:

    > In 2.1 currently, 'df' does not even show the mount point of an smb
    > mount. :)

    I'm not sure what problem you're having here, but df has always shown
    the mount point of a smbfs mount on my system.

    > It looks like nobody is currently maintaining the user-level SMB
    > mounting tools (which explains why they're in the shape they are).
    > After vacation, I'll try to hack them into a useful shape and post them
    > on a web site. Time willing, I'll then start the gruesome job of
    > mushing them back into one single mount utility.

    If you had been following the kernel thread here on smbfs, you would
    have seen the patches I released for smbclient to improve the handling
    of reconnections.

    > samba has made it clear that they will not support Linux's required
    > patches to 'smbclient' so we need to pull out what we need and stick it
    > back into 'smbmount'.

    I've been corresponding with the Samba team on this topic, and they have
    agreed to accept a smbfs mount patch for smbclient. The original
    decision to use smbclient for mounting smbfs was made by Volker
    Lendecke, one the the Samba team. Since the code for finding a server
    and negotiating a connection is already required for smbclient, and most
    people already have Samba, the decision makes sense from a maintenance
    standpoint.

    Having a smbclient binary capable of mounting smbfs should make it
    easier to integrate smbfs mounting into the mount command.

    Regards,
    Bill

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.026 / U:0.024 seconds]