SubjectRe: lsof doesn't work without module support?
Date
In article <19971217104447.51328@hazel>,
Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com> wrote:
>Apparently, lsof doesn't work in a 2.0.32 kernel compiled without
>support for modules. This seems to mean that if you want to
>avoid the exploit possibilities of modules you lose the stability
>advantages of being able to track down, for example, what program
>is preventing a disk from being unmounted.

Hmm, lsof should be rewritten to use the proc filesystem. I had a quick
look at the source but believe me you want to rewrite it from scratch
for Linux.

BTW, fuser has a lot of the sme functionality (use `fuser -vm /usr' to
find out which processes have files open in /usr, for example) and it
uses the proc file system.

Mike.
--
Miquel van Smoorenburg | Studying to be a technomage <*>
miquels@cistron.nl | "May you live in interesting times"