    SubjectRe: Open() UNIX socket = socket() + connect() ?
    H. Peter Anvin <hpa@transmeta.com> writes:
    > Followup to: <199712162059.VAA00172@mamba.pond.sub.org>
    > By author: Felix Schroeter <felix@mamba.pond.sub.org>
    > In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
    > >
    > > BSD does not support open() on UNIX domain sockets, either. I've
    > > talked to a friend about that. He thinks that while there's no good
    > > reason against that support, if open() on sockets were implemented
    > > e.g. on Linux, of course rather some people would actually use it,
    > > unnecessarily making their programs less portable. So in the real
    > > world, with diverse UNIX like operating systems, that feature would
    > > probably do more damage than use.
    > >
    > > And it isn't too difficult to do socket() and connect() yourself,
    > > anyway.
    > >

    > There is a huge advantage to it, though: it would enable a way to let
    > programs written to read (or write) to a file rather talk to a
    > process. The problem with fifos is that there is only one data path,
    > so only one program can play this trick at a time, whereas with
    > sockets there is one data path for each connection open.

    What you need is a better shell, that can give you bi-directional pipes or
    sockets on the fly, without even going through the filesystem. A better
    shell could let you talk to a process on another machine entirely.

    I suppose perl would work, too bad I don't like perl.

    - Steve

    | Steve Baker | Barely Working | # ## # # # # #
    | ice@mama.indstate.edu | System Administrator | # # # # # # # #
    | Red-Hat Rulz! | Will work for hardware | # # # ## # # # #
    `-- SYS-ADMIN FOR HIRE, HAVE UNIX, WILL TRAVEL --' #### # # # ## # #

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.023 / U:88.368 seconds]