SubjectRe: Open() UNIX socket = socket() + connect() ?
Date
In article <vyz4t486ydk.fsf@issan.informatik.uni-dortmund.de>,
Andreas Schwab <schwab@issan.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> wrote:
>H Peter Anvin <hpa@transmeta.com> writes:
>
>|> There is a huge advantage to it, though: it would enable a way to let
>|> programs written to read (or write) to a file rather talk to a
>|> process. The problem with fifos is that there is only one data path,
>|> so only one program can play this trick at a time, whereas with
>|> sockets there is one data path for each connection open.
>
>How easy would it be to implement bidirectional pipes?

That's not the same, then you still run into problems if you have
more than one client accessing the pipe to the server at a time.

I have heard that on some Unixes (SVR4) pipes are actually socketpair()s
and as such are bidirectional. In fact if this is also true for named
pipes, you'd expect the open() == socket() + connect() behaviour to
come naturally. Unfortunately I cannot check this right now..

Mike.
--
Miquel van Smoorenburg | Studying to be a technomage <*>
miquels@cistron.nl | "May you live in interesting times"

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:1.301 / U:0.012 seconds]