    SubjectRe: Recipe for cooking 2.1.72's mm

    > > I'll present a way to make 72 completely unusable:
    > >
    > > Take stress, run stress mega mega mega .... (many times). Then
    > > enjoy. (I assume that number of mega must be bigger than your RAM+swap
    > > ammount).
    > >
    > > Machine is not dead, interrupt still works, magic unmount works, maybe
    > > it is even some userland working - kswapd is active 'only' 99% of
    > > time. (Debugging leds are _great_ think), hard disk does somesing very
    > > short about once from two seconds or so. I can see led of user
    > > processes flagshing _very_ shortly.
    > I think the system should kill some (large) non-root processes
    > when (free_mem + free_swap) gets below (free_pages_low +
    > min_free_pages)/2 and stays there for several (5?) seconds.
    > That kill should (ofcourse) be logged to syslog.
    > If killing all non-root processes doesn't work, just kill _all_
    > processes, remount fs-es RO, try to umount() as many as possible
    > and reboot with a message...

    Sorry. There is a problem. It needs to be solved, not worked
    around. (Notice, that same process does nothing bad to 2.0.28).

    And: Work around is bad. Imagine your machine with such behaviour on
    100MBit ethernet. Imagine me around (ping -f)ing your machine. That
    can keep your pages low for as long as I want. You do not your machine
    to go yo-yo (up and down and up and down ...).

    I'm really Pavel
    Look at ;-).

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.020 / U:1.404 seconds]