SubjectRe: Suggestion for handling of boot-time driver options

Hello All,

On Mon, 15 Dec 1997, Dominik Kubla wrote:

> : > They *could* be written entirely from scratch, and be quite
> : > independend of actual kernel. (It would be pretty hard to write kernel
> : > module that way, as they would have to re-implement all includes, but
> : > possible). Where do they violate gpl, then?
> :
> : By being linked with it
>
> Sigh! I have heard that often enough... Anyhow i would prefer a binary
> only driver to being forced to shift a project to WinNT or some other M$
> crap any time of day.
>
> Sometimes i wonder if it was a wise decision to put Linux under GPL and
> not using something like a modified BSD copyright...
>
> Just in case you don't know: some companies don't port their commercial
> software to linux because the license of the C/C++ library would force
> them to provide the customer with the source code. No joke!

Hmmm, I'm sorry here but I'll make a small wager here that
many of those same companies use GCC for some of their test
code, if not even their production code.

(Just concerning Hardware drivers)

(IMO) Any company that insecure in its product that it won't
provide source for its hardware drivers is going to loose a
-very- good source of income .

Tnx, JimL
| James W. Laferriere - Network Engineer - babydr@nwrain.net |
| System Techniques - 25416 - 22nd S. - Kent, WA 98032 |
| Give me VMS -or- Give me Linux -but- only on AXP |
|-> Linux-Vax Port, Now in Progress !YAY! there's Progress To Report <-|
|-> Please See http://ucnet.canberra.edu.au/~mikal/vaxlinux/home.html <-|
|-> Maintainer: Michael Still mikal@blitzen.canberra.edu.au <-|

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.209 / U:0.072 seconds]