    SubjectRe: networking / web perf probs

    On Sun, 14 Dec 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:

    > On Sat, 13 Dec 1997, Larry McVoy wrote:
    > > listen(sock, >0)
    > >
    > > should be changed (in the kernel) to be something like
    > >
    > > listen(sock, sizeof(input queue length))
    > I would think that is a bad idea. Some programs deliberately set a low
    > listen backlog and have valid reasons for it.

    I'm curious, why? Admittedly I'm a fan of long listen queues because I've
    seen enough performance problems solved just by increasing the listen
    queue length.

    > It is easy to fix any other programs that you have source for.

    And if you don't have source, my two favourite tricks are to hack a shared
    lib, or to just hack the kernel itself. I've done both now to work around
    commercial linux programs that don't do quite what I want them to.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.020 / U:2.584 seconds]