    SubjectRe: Suggestion for handling of boot-time driver options

    > From: Roderich Schupp <>
    > Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 20:17:57 +0100
    > Subject: Suggestion for handling of boot-time driver options
    > Any suggestions, objections, flames?
    > Cheers, Roderich

    > From: "Grant R. Guenther" <>
    > Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 16:29:09 -0500 (EST)
    > Subject: Re: Suggestion for handling of boot-time driver options
    > This scheme could be further advanced if it was combined with
    > Richard Henderson's "MODULE_PARM" facilty, so that the module's
    > "setup" function could be automatically constructed from the
    > information in the MODULE_PARM declarations. I figure that's
    > just some more ELF trickery ...

    That fits nicely with an idea i had some time ago and that i discussed
    with Eric Youngdale and Mike Neuffer at this years Linux-Kongress:

    What if we could compile drivers as monolithic and modular at the same
    time? I thought that it should be possible to put the startup code into
    different ELF segments - eg .start0 and .start1 - and then have the linker
    strip of the unwanted part.

    What would this mean?

    1. We could avoid the well-known problem of "this driver doesn't compile as
    module" ?
    2. Distributors could provide their customers with a kernel link kit as
    found on commercial Unices, allowing them to link a custom kernel
    as they need it without the need of a full recompile. (Some people
    simply won't use kerneld for their own reasons, like it or not.)
    This is especially useful for shrink-wrapped applications, when a
    full gcc installation might not be available.
    3. This allows the use of binary-only drivers with monolithic kernels.
    (are there such beasts?)

    What killed the whole idea were the startup code in init/main.c and my
    poor understanding of the whole ELF magic.

    Is this an idea that warrants further investigation or am i really the
    lunatic many people believe me to be? <g>

    Dominik Kubla

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.228 / U:2.768 seconds]