    SubjectRE: OFFTOPIC: Re: bzip2 for kernel dists?
    It does compress slowly, but decompression is pretty snappy (though still
    slower than gzip). I think bzip2 is ideal for distributing software -
    remember that decompression is going to happen a lot more times than
    compression. The succession of LZ77-based compression by BWT-based
    compression is inevitable as machines get faster. But it will take some
    time to replace a standard as strongly entrenched as gzip. gzip is an
    absolutely superb LZ77-based compressor - maybe even the best of its kind.

    How about integrating the BWT-based compression in bzip2 into gzip in
    order to speed the transition and make it easier?

    gzip -bwt? Just an idea.

    -- Adam

    On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, linux kernel account wrote:

    > Thanks for using NetForward!
    > v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v
    > On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, Jordan Mendelson wrote:
    > > So, bzip2 yeilds better compression, it's free (no patent restrictions on
    > > algs, etc), and it's available in binary & source form for Linux & a number
    > > of other OSs. What's keeping kernels from being distributed like this?
    > One reason is that: While compressing you typical 30meg kernel tar, one
    > tends to grow old and grey.. I use bzip2 all the time, it's good... But
    > it's VERY slow..

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.022 / U:0.272 seconds]