    SubjectRe: Pentium (and Cyrix) DEATH in user-mode
    Hi Bryan,

    Thanks for your feedback. Meanwhile I have tested my 6x86MX rev 1.3 and
    I can confirm that it has the same problem as the 6x86L and your rev 1.7
    6x86. So it's a family problem ;-)

    Note that the 6x86 does not stop like the Pentium; it goes into an
    infinite loop. The Intel part dies, the Cyrix goes into a coma...

    Anyway there is a simple solution to the 6x86 problem, whereas right now
    I am starting to write a letter asking for a refund or a replacement for
    an old Pentium 133 I had in a drawer. :-( I would prefer a refund.

    B. James Phillippe wrote:
    > FWIW, the Mike
    > Jagdis patch claims this should be a useful performance-enhancing feature
    > to have on all the time anyway (although since it wasn't working, I guess
    > it wasn't tested very well).
    Isn't it a lot simpler to just add a line to an rc.cyrix script?

    Plus you don't even have to recompile your kernel. Plus you can set the
    ARRs and get a _real_ performance increase.

    Try it, I am certain you'll like it.

    Anyway, as soon as the NO_LOCK thingy is sufficiently tested I will add
    it to _my_ small patch. It adds 4 lines to the source and < 10 bytes to
    the executable.

    Andrew D. Balsa
    Home Page:

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.033 / U:5.400 seconds]