    SubjectRe: Filesize limitation
    On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, Andre Uratsuka Manoel wrote:

    > Hello gentlemen,
    > I was contact by people asking about filesize limits in Linux as
    > they tried to create a 2GB file, but couldn't. I figured the problem
    > might be the filesize limitation. At least that is what I'd expect to
    > happen with a file that size. Am I right on that? If it is so, is there
    > a 64-bit filesystem for Linux?
    > Regards,
    > Andre
    > -----
    > Andre Uratsuka Manoel Insite Internet
    > +55-11-259-6979
    There is plenty of "room" available in the object types that would
    define a file in Linux for an ext2 file-system (like fpos_t, etc.)

    I don't have a spare disk large enough to make a 2Gb file. However,
    I would guess that if you can't make one (with large enough media), there
    is either a bug in the program that tries to create it or possibly a
    bug in the kernel. You don't need 64 bits to manipulate a 2 Gb file.

    Dick Johnson

    Richard B. Johnson
    Project Engineer
    Analogic Corporation
    Penguin : Linux version 2.1.60 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.019 / U:0.028 seconds]