SubjectRe: Filesize limitation
On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, Andre Uratsuka Manoel wrote:

> Hello gentlemen,
> I was contact by people asking about filesize limits in Linux as
> they tried to create a 2GB file, but couldn't. I figured the problem
> might be the filesize limitation. At least that is what I'd expect to
> happen with a file that size. Am I right on that? If it is so, is there
> a 64-bit filesystem for Linux?
> Regards,
> Andre
> -----
> Andre Uratsuka Manoel Insite Internet
> +55-11-259-6979
There is plenty of "room" available in the object types that would
define a file in Linux for an ext2 file-system (like fpos_t, etc.)

I don't have a spare disk large enough to make a 2Gb file. However,
I would guess that if you can't make one (with large enough media), there
is either a bug in the program that tries to create it or possibly a
bug in the kernel. You don't need 64 bits to manipulate a 2 Gb file.

Dick Johnson

Richard B. Johnson
Project Engineer
Analogic Corporation
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.60 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).