SubjectRe: Triton DMA

On Sat, 29 Nov 1997, Rogier Wolff wrote:

> You're right that an unacceptable overhead would be incurred if
> software would need to calculate the CRC. As to the speed of
> calculating a CRC against that of parity, both can be implemented in
> hardware with just a few xor gates.

But IS it implimented in IDE hardware? And what kind of overhead to it
cause bandwidth wise?

> Gerard, may I ask you a question on YOUR field of expertise? I got a
> SCSI disk last thursday, and connected it to my '810 card. The disk
> didn't have any labelled jumpers, but as it had been at the end of the
> chain, I gathered that it must have been terminated. So I Assumed that
> this was the case, and hooked it up like that. It turned out that I
> was wrong, and the disk was unterminated.
>
> With this as the hardware situtation, my machine once locked. I would
> expect SERIOUS failures when my system would be using SCSI as the
> root-device, but as it is, just a few "large" storage partitions were
> mounted on the SCSI disks. With bad termination, I'd expect parity
> errors, timeouts, but not a complete lockup.

My motherboard sucks! I pored water on it, and it started sparking.. I
expected that.. But *THEN* it refused to work again, even when dried off!!
Thats a real piece of crap.. I mean, I would expect sparks, smoke, perhaps
fire.. but not DEAD...

Comeon, if you screw up hardware you cant perdict how it'll behave.. Feel
fortunate that leaving the terminator off doesn't kill something!.. Go ask
a ham what would happen to he high power amp if he 'left the antenna off',
or left off an impendance matching transformer.. Or stuck the friggin
antenna in the ground.... All of those things are as stupid as leaving off
the terminator, execpt that most ham equipment is less forgiving..

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.107 / U:0.016 seconds]