SubjectRE: 2.0.32: hard lockups with adaptec 2940U

On 26-Nov-97 Matthias Welwarsky wrote:
>Hello all.
>
>I've seen hard lockups on three rather different machines that seem to
>be due to problems with the adaptec driver. One machine is a PPro-200
>with Intel mainboard, the other two are a P166, Gigabyte mainbord w/HX
>chipset AFAIR. On all three machines the lockup could be triggered by
>simply copying large files (abt 3-5Meg each) from CDROM to one of the
>SCSI disks. The machines lock up hard, nothing in the logs.
>
>For one of the machines (my own one) I solved the problem by replacing
>the 2940U with an older non-ultra-2940 controller. None of the three
>machines is equipped with Ultra-SCSI devices, though.

You might want to try my abort/reset patch for this driver. It's helped a
lot of people so far, and unfortunately, since I run this patch exclusively
on all of our machines, it's hard to debug the stock driver (I have several
machines that won't keep running without this patch).

You can find it at ftp.dialnet.net in /pub/linux/aic7xxx. There are patches
there for both the 2.0.31 and 2.0.32 kernel. We use 2.0.32 plus this patch
on things like our news server and other high load disk servers.

E-Mail: Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net>
Date: 26-Nov-97
Time: 18:07:05

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.834 / U:0.020 seconds]