    SubjectRe: To Intel or not to Intel, that is the question. (And hardware compatability)
    On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Martin Mares wrote:

    > Hi,
    > > Of the x86 family, I do not know of any CPU with a faster FPU than Intel.
    > > Note that the Cyrix chips have at least one bug of their own, having
    > > nearly the same affect on the chip as the Pentium exploit. The workaround
    > > is not as effective as the Pentium one, nor is it built into the kernel.
    > The workaround need not to be built in the kernel as it's sufficient
    > to use the setcx86 utility to do the job.

    I'm a little out of wind after a long explanation of this with Pavel
    Machek, so I'll just be breif. The workaound doesn't work for me. kernel
    2.1.6x, Cyrix 6x86 step 1 rev 7 P150+, Tyan Titan III. It stops the COMA,
    but after stopping it, the system is unstable and crashes in X.

    BTW, it's set6x86.

    B. James Phillippe <bryan@Terran.ORG>
    UNIX, Linux, networks, C, Perl, Java, etc.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.018 / U:17.608 seconds]