    SubjectRe: 2.1.65 oops

    On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Bill Hawes wrote:

    > I've seen a number of oops reports similar to this, and it appears that
    > something is freeing a dentry or inode when it's still in use. Then the
    > next call that finds the dentry on a list, typically select_dcache or
    > do_follow_link, gets a trash pointer and oopses.
    >
    > I haven't been able to see a common cause to focus a search for the
    > problem, but things to look for would be an extra dput() or iput() when
    > there's a remaining reference to the dentry or inode.

    turn SADISTIC_KMALLOC on (is there any slab.c equivalent for this?), this
    speeds up the crash, maybe this way we get a better call trace.

    -- mingo

    ps. with ktrace you get a trace of the last 100 function entries on every
    oops, which should thus show all previous VFS activity. You can even
    selectively trace only VFS activities.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.078 / U:0.144 seconds]