    SubjectRe: TTY changes to 2.1.65
       From: Jes Degn Soerensen <jds@kom.auc.dk>
    Date: 24 Nov 1997 18:16:42 +0100

    Another thing I would like to see in the generic code is an interface
    to register serial drivers instead of the current approach where every
    serial driver is assigned its own major.

    I see no reason for wasting all these majors on this and IMHO it is a
    lot better to use dynamic allocation of serial devices, thus if one
    replaces a serial board with a different brand it is not necessary to
    go and change the entire software setup.

    It's something to think about, but doing this in a way that doesn't
    break compatibility with either (a) existing systems' /dev directories
    and (b) all of the existing tty device drivers will be a wee bit
    challenging. It'll probably be a while before I get to this one,
    actually.

    I can definitely understand why something like this would be desireable
    on certain platforms, though.

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.022 / U:0.952 seconds]