SubjectRe: Smart CONFIG_* Dependencies

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Michael Elizabeth Chastain wrote:

> Try it out and do let me know what you think.

you write this about 'command dependencies':

------------>
The best solution would be 'command dependencies', where the
Makefile stores the command line used to build foo.o and then forces
a rebuild whenever this command line changes.

This would involve a great deal of work so instead we used the
following kludge: when the Makefile compiles drivers/net/foo.c
as a module, it names the output file drivers/net/mod-foo.o.

what about storing the command used to build a .o file in a '.foo.comm'
file, and compare it / touch it when building. It wont show up in normal
'ls' output, so the 'file listing' doesnt change, and it looks more
robust.

this also takes care of other command-dependencies, say -D__SMP__, or
-D__386__, or compiler flags?

-- mingo

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.058 / U:0.512 seconds]