    SubjectRe: Linux Stability & cold.system
    On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Adam D. Bradley wrote:

    > > So, some people (myself included) have put forth some ideas on some way
    > > of actually MEASURING the stability of kernels. One of my favorite was
    > > one somebody else mentioned: have a utility kind of like the 'make
    > > check' things that come with bash that tests the kernel currently
    > > running for stability, memory leaks, etc. I know people have
    > > "kernel-killers" out there :) If some standard test suite were
    > > available, then everyone could upload their results.
    > I've been (unofficially, of course) collecting stress scripts since a
    > similar thread back in September. I'm hoping to put together a
    > package of them around Christmastime for everyone's enjoyment.
    > Naturally, I'm looking for additional suggestions from everyone on the
    > list; what are the "killer scripts" and other killer workload
    > generators you use to torture those "small, fuzzy kernels"? ;-)

    My favourite stress tester is repeated kernel compiles, plus the same
    again in a chroot'ed mount-point. This mount-point is mounted via NFS
    from the same box.

    It's more of a hardware test than anything else (although I suppose it
    uses the fs code a fair bit :-), so you'd obviously want to add some big
    ftp sessions in the background, fire up X/netscrape, and perhaps play a
    bit of quake (with about 1 frame/min by this stage :).

    Anyone else have useful sadistic tricks?

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.018 / U:0.208 seconds]