    SubjectRe: VFS
    On Sun, Nov 16, 1997 at 06:04:25PM -0500, Andrew E. Mileski wrote:
    > > > I never stated inode numbers were meaningless outside the kernel,
    > > > but the output of "ls -i" is meaningless when using virtual inode
    > > > numbers.
    > >
    > > Yes, and they also do not have the semantics that programs expect.
    > For reference, could you name a few other programs that want
    > to use inode numbers? [AFAIK, there are no system calls that
    > take inode numbers as args.] Thanks.

    - cpio, tar and other programs use inode numbers to identify hardlinked
    - There is also a patch floating around that enables the kernel to
    open files by inode number. This in conjunction with a modified INN
    delivers significant speedups as the INN spends a large fraction of
    it's time searching files. You may call it a broken fix for a broken
    system though ...

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.020 / U:26.488 seconds]