SubjectLoad average and CPU hogs in realtime scheduling
MAME (arcade machine emulator) is cool. :-) In order to let it run
smoothly, I run it in SCHED_FIFO (or was ist _RR?) mode (the svgalib
version). This program seems to take 100% of the CPU time and no other
process on the machine gets to run, not surprisingly.

What does surprise me, however: when I exit MAME and let my machine
resume normal operation, it displays a load average of perhaps 15 or
20, depending on how long MAME ran, despite no processes in R or D
state. The load drops quickly to the usual "0+noise".

Looks like there is something slightly wrong with load average
computation.

olaf

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans