SubjectRe: Linux-2.0.32..

Linus, please, do not release a 2.0.32 until it has had at least had a day
or two as a pre. Then release a .32 that is the same as the last pre.

.31 came out with bugs that weren't in the last pre before it..

It is considerable effort for some to upgrade their kernels, it doesn't do
the Linux community any good to have to upgrade because of bugs. (Drivers,
and hardware workarounds are another matter...)

Thanks.

On Sun, 16 Nov 1997, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> No,
> I haven't _quite_ released it, but there's a pre-patch-2.0.32-6.gz on
> ftp.kernel.org that I'd really like to release as 2.0.32 tomorrow. But in
> order to do so, I'd like to be reasonably certain that it does indeed fix
> the problems that people have had with debuggers etc with the previous
> Pentium bugfix patches. Thanks to Hans Lermen for looking into all the
> ugly details on finding where the instruction actually is..
>
> There may well still be some problems hiding somewhere, but I suspect many
> people will be happier with an official 2.0.x release that fixes both the
> Pentium bug and the network fragment bug even if there are small details
> with the Pentium bug that may need looking into. For an ISP, strange
> corner-case behaviour (if there is any) is still a lot better than a dead
> machine.
>
> Thanks to everybody who has helped with the Pentium bug fixing effort by
> testing. I hope you can find the time to check this (hopefully last) patch
> out,
>
> Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.111 / U:0.460 seconds]