SubjectRe: AW: NON IRQ DEADLOCK in 2.0.31
Yes... Unfortunately, the heatsink only has contact in the center, the
sides are raised, there I had to apply enough (1mm?) to bridge the gap. It
being a better conductor than air and all... Also, they came with just a
small (1.5cmx1.5cm?) patch that was presumably some similar compound, but
didn't come near to covering the non-raised section of the sink... <sigh>
-Rob H.

On Sat, 15 Nov 1997, Christopher E. Brown wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, Rob Hagopian wrote:
>
> > The physical machine is sitting in a 6x deg cold room with OEM heatsink
> > and fan attachments (with a good deal of heatsink compound which I added),
> > and 2 fans (220V West German metal fans, each used to cool an enclosure
> > for four 5.25" FH drives and a power supply) pointed directly at them.
>
> Just a side note here, but "a good deal of heatsink compound" is
> not a good thing. The idea with using thermal compound is to maximize
> surface to surface contact, the compound is only there to fill all the
> minute air gaps caused by the imperfect surfaces. Thermal compound is a
> much better thermal conductor than air, but not as good as direct contact,
> the proper way is to use as little compound as is needed to *lightly* coat
> the surfaces, not to use so much as to leave the heatsink floating on a
> pad of compound.

> Christopher E. Brown (CB421) <cbrown@alaska.net> +(907) 357-5680
>
> We are Pentium of Borg. Division is futile. You will be approximated.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans