    SubjectRe: 2.1.63 - testing Pentium bug workaround..
    On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > I just made 2.1.63 available on the normal ftp site (ftp.kernel.org,
    > direcoty pub/linux/kernel/v2.1). The most exciting change is probably the
    > preliminary patch by Ingo Molnar that should work around the by now
    > well-known Pentium lock-up bug. Many thanks to Ingo who put together the
    > patch from various snippets of information floating around.

    The pentium bugfix works the first time an 'exploit' is run,
    but the chip locks the second time.

    P54C/133mhz 112MB, kernel compiled with gcc 2.7.2.1
    kernel compiled (accidentally) for SMP because I forgot to undefine
    (i'm trying with a uniprocessor kernel now, will report with anything
    different)

    Simon Karpen slk@shodor.org
    Sysadmin, Shodor Education Foundation

    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!], `Pray,
    Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right
    answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of
    confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    -- Charles Babbage

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.021 / U:3.128 seconds]