    SubjectRe: Cyrix patch : Proposal?
    On Sat, 8 Nov 1997, Willem Riede <wriede@monmouth.com> wrote:

    > I think it would be a feather in Linux's cap if it automatically recognized
    > what CPU it runs on and sets any parameters that make that CPU function most
    > effectively (and some may have to be set at config for recompile time).

    That was my intention with the original non-Intel (nee Cyrix)
    patch. Once you've recognised the chip the feature setting is
    a relatively trivial amount of code so you might as well do
    it there. Moving it to user space would mean you take thousands
    of cycles longer :-). The reason it's all done with config
    options is for testing. There is probably no reason to ask
    such questions at this stage.

    The reason ARR, linear burst mode etc. aren't handled by
    the patch is because we can't predict what the "best" settings
    are without additional knowledge that it isn't possible to
    probe. We have to assume that the BIOS has set things reasonably.
    These are things that _could_ be done in user space - but only
    by people who know their system and what they are doing.

    Mike

    | Mike Jagdis | Internet: mailto:mike@roan.co.uk |
    | Roan Technology Ltd. | |
    | 54A Peach Street, Wokingham | Telephone: +44 118 989 0403 |
    | RG40 1XG, ENGLAND | Fax: +44 118 989 1195 |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.030 / U:29.984 seconds]