    SubjectRe: Solaris
    Date

    > On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Thomas Pornin wrote:
    >
    > > By the way, this list is about the linux OS, which has nothing to do
    > > with Solaris (apart that linux is much better in many points of view).
    >
    > I would really like to run Solaris binaries on linux. As I undestand it,
    > Solaris intel binaries are elf, so given the correct libraries, and loader
    > conventions, it seems that there is a possibility of running Solaris
    > binaries. According to SunSoft, there are 2500 applications ported to
    > Solaris Intel (and 10000 applications are ported to Solaris Sparc) so
    > there is some advantage to emulating Solaris (probably more advantage of
    > Solaris emulation than SCO emulation at this point).

    Linux/Sparc64 has now some sort of Solaris/SPARC emulation, it runs several
    binaries, but not those using networking yet. And yes, those Solaris
    binaries run faster than on native Solaris.

    Cheers,
    Jakub
    Jakub Jelinek | jj@sunsite.mff.cuni.cz | http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz
    Administrator of SunSITE Czech Republic, MFF, Charles University
    Ultralinux - first 64bit OS to take full power of the UltraSparc
    Linux version 2.1.57 on a sparc64 machine (333.41 BogoMips).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.021 / U:149.792 seconds]