SubjectSOCKS and Kernel

This is a good requirement of my friend for a education institute.
They have 90% of machine running Linux. All machines are behind
firewall, does not have direct internet connectivity and using
SOCKS. The situation is allright for WWW since all browser supports
proxy but the problem is for other application. In most cases, it is
possible to get SOCKS client, but not for all application for which
source is not available. It would be nice if kernel can support the
SOCKS and all application will be transparent to it. I am not aware
if something like this is already done on Linux. I am sure that somebody
might have done this, since it is a better option than to change all
applications (what do you say Alan ?).

I would appreciate any help on this.

Thanks,

Yusuf

====
Satellite & Networking Division, Hughes Software System,
Electronic City, Plot-31, Sector-18, Gurgaon - 122 015, India
E-mail: ymotiwala@hss.hns.com Phone: 91-124-346 666 ext. 2298
WWW: http://yusuf..home.ml.org/ Fax : 91-124-343 715

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.252 / U:0.084 seconds]