SubjectRe: Unix domain sockets being slooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwww
Hi!

> > messages, it took ~1:30, with unix domain sockets it was ~3 minutes
> > (which is 2 times slower) and number of task switches was 2259000
> > instead of 2000108 with ipc messages, and with much more time spent in
> > scheduler.
>
> Unix domain sockets are fast for bulk delivery of data, SYS5 messages
> are fast for message passing. To do extremely fast message passes

Trouble is that sysV messages are not usable for message passing: No
automatic cleanup, no unique keys, no notification that other one
died.

> with low contention cases use spinlocks, shared memory and signals. The
> locks are arch specific, but thats easily localised

Signals are _very_ slow way of notifying the other one that he has
some data. And shared memory does not allow me to do safe messaging
between different users. Too bad.

Pavel
This is my little buggy signature... Pavel
GCM d? s-: !g p?:+ au- a--@ w+ v- C++@ UL+++ L++ N++ E++ W--- M- Y- R+

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.038 / U:6.128 seconds]