    SubjectRe: Linux 2.0 and 2.1 stability..
    > On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    (snip)

    > > > The code-slush means that there are a few outstanding issues: some
    > > > patches accumulated by David (mainly sound, architecture and networking),
    > > > and the NFS issues. The kernel NFS server is broken and is outside the
    > > > code slush - I assume it will get a major overhaul still. The NFS client
    > > > is being debugged.

    If the kernel NFS server has not been fixed by the time 2.2 emerges from
    the 2.1.x series, I vote to remove it outright from the distribution. It
    is just enough faster at what it can do that folks may be lulled into
    trusting important data to it. From experience, I can tell you that is a
    serious mistake.

    > > > There are still some obvious problems in 2.1 (like ncpfs still doesn't
    > > > work because it hasn't been updated to the new VFS interface etc), but I'd
    > > > like for people to really start thinking about "Ok, what can I do to make
    > > > this _stable_" instead of "Hey, what else do I want?".

    Absolutely. There is a one-man whirlwind of a kernel hacker out there
    named Bill Hawes who is just starting to hit his stride <g>. Please give
    him sufficient breathing room to file all the rough edges off both ends of
    the NFS subsystem?

    Bill, I can't say this enough: Your efforts, good humor, and extreme
    degree of organization are breathtaking to behold. Thanks.

    Steve

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:4.040 / U:0.412 seconds]