    SubjectRe: ntohl and others
    And lo, Magnus Ahltorp saith unto me:
    > Why are ntohl and others defined as macros, and not inlines?
    (1) As macros, they *are* inline, just not functions.
    (2) Your desired usage would require a non-inlined instance of the
    "inline" function to point to.
    (3) Why on earth do you want the address of ntohl? It's not like
    you need to change endianness at runtime...

    > It's difficult to write:
    (4) static unsigned long int _HTONL(unsigned long int x){return htonl(x);}
    if what you propose to do with &htonl really, truly is a good idea.

    > #include <asm/byteorder.h>
    > int main()
    > {
    > unsigned long (*foo)(unsigned long) = htonl;
    > return (*foo)(17);
    > }
    This code is a toy example of using a function pointer, yet tells us
    nothing about *why* you want to do so...and I really think you don't.
    What context are you working in, and what other function(s) might you
    point to besides htonl?

    > so, why not:
    > static inline unsigned long int htonl(unsigned long int x) { return x; }
    See (4) above. Note that the function ought not to be declared static
    if there's any possibility of multiple places forcing the compiler to
    make an out-of-line copy of the htonl function...(prototype in the
    header, actual definition in one place only)

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.021 / U:8.240 seconds]