Subjectramdisk errors
Hi,

I'm sorry to bother you but I need to ask some questions pertaining to
Linux ramdisk support. Most of the information I've found concerns
installation/boot floppy usage but I have a different purpose in mind.
I'm using the Squid Proxy server which generates several log files:
access.log, cache.log, etc. The idea is to have Squid maintain these
log files on a ramdisk that has been formatted (ext2fs), and mounted
in appropriate location. I'm able to format and mount the ramdisk.
Initially Squid happily maintains the log files on the before mentioned
ramdisk. However, during periods in which the proxy server is
experiencing heavy usage the kernel is generating error messages such
as:

Oct 17 01:18:26 Kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev
01:01, sector 16890
.. .. ..
.. .. .. 16892
.. .. ..
.. .. .. 16894

I would appreciate any help or advice. I listed the commands that use
within rc.local to format and mount the ramdisk at system boot.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ram bs=1k
mke2fs -vm0 /dev/ram 16384
mount -t ext2 /dev/ram /usr/local/squid/ramdisk

Kernel version: 2.1.30 pre3

Thanks,
Scott Gray

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.226 / U:0.156 seconds]