SubjectRe: serial input overrun(s) using ide-cd
Date
Followup to:  <344a47db.99400244@smtp-gw01.ny.us.ibm.net>
By author: mouth@ibm.net (John Kelly)
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> But in no case should Linux BY DEFAULT disable interrupts during IDE
> disk I/O. If FreeBSD does not, why should Linux?

I think this statement is wildly incorrect. I think it is very
reasonable policy of the *KERNEL* to default to failsafe mode, when
there is a user-mode utility to enable all the spiffy stuff. This
guarantees that in the case of failure, you can at least boot the
system.

Whether or not a distribution wants to make that their default is a
whole other cup of tea.

Oh, distribution maintainers: at least one widely used Linux
distribution fscks and mounts all filesystems read-write before
entering single-user mode. This is *VERY* dangerous and broken
behaviour -- single-user mode is by definition a recovery mode to be
entered when something breaks, and assuming all filesystems are
available and safe to mount read-write is just plain broken. In
single-user mode, initlevel 1, only / should be mounted, read-only.
If you want a "sort-of-single-user mode", then make it init 2 or
something...

-hpa
--
PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD 1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
See http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/ for web page and full PGP public key

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.060 / U:1.096 seconds]