SubjectRe: serial input overrun(s) using ide-cd
Date
From: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox)
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 19:14:54 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: serial input overrun(s) using ide-cd

>> I'd be willing to bet a dime that the PIO problem is a write-behind cache
>> problem that is being masked by turning off interrupts during PIO
>> operation, I'll bet that changing write-back to write-through "fixes"
>> the problem.

>On a 386 with no cache. Man that'd be clever.

You're pretty quick to dismiss the possibility that there's something
wrong with the linux kernel and/or IDE code.

FreeBSD does not have the Linux weakness of needing to disable
interrupts during IDE disk I/O to avoid filesystem corruption. That
shows that there's more to the story than you're inclined to believe.

>And most of the problem cases have been 386 ISA or VLB

Unless it can be shown to be "all cases" you have said nothing to
discredit or rebut Richard's suggestion.

John

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:1.829 / U:0.116 seconds]