SubjectRe: Solaris
At 09:32 PM 10/9/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Letting the chips fall where they may, I quote Thomas Pornin:
>>In article <199710021742.UAA03482@runner.dntis.ro> you write:
>>>Is there any kind of solaris for x86? I'd like to find out where to get
>>>the kit if there's any.
>>
>>Yes, there is one. I once (tried to) install it and it really looks like
>>a piece of junk. Thinking about it is just a bad idea. If you really want
>>to try it, you may buy it from Sun microsystems.
>
>Sun should stick with Sparc hardware... they are the only ones who fully
>understand it (it was their aliens that designed that stuff.) Solaris x86
>is just a mistake. It's hard to maintain, and should anything ever happen
>to it, well, do you have another machine? To do practically anything to
>the machine requires the machine to be plugged into another machine.

These responses and comments are based on Solarsi 2.5 and 2.5.1, right?
2.6 is much improved and they are getting much better as time goes on.
It's a relatively young OS and they have only really been getting serious
on it in the past 2 years, so give 'em some time. Remember when Linux was
a baby? :)

-Seth

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans