    SubjectRe: Process Migration on Linux - Impossible?
    On Wed, Oct 01, 1997 at 11:05:01AM -0500, Tall cool one wrote:
    > Victor Yodaiken <yodaiken@chelm.cs.nmt.edu> writes:
    > > On Tue, Sep 30, 1997 at 10:06:25PM -0500, Tall cool one wrote:
    > > > Personally, I don't have a real need for process migration, but I'd like
    > > > to see it because of what process migration would allow. The ability of
    > >
    > > So you want fault tolerance, not process migration. Don't confuse the
    > > technique with the result.
    >
    > That's an odd thing to say, isn't it? Re-read my first sentence again,
    > carefully this time. If one can throw a process on another machine at will,
    > it becomes trivial to checkpoint, yes? Fault tolerance for free.

    No. And in any case, its almost always a mistake to argue that Y is
    desirable, X makes Y possible, so X is desirable. Having
    process migration leaves you a long way from having fault tolerance.
    More importantly, if I wanted to add fault-tolerance to Linux I would
    certainly not start by implementing process migration.

    > I'm the first to admit, that the above things are not really that
    > important to me, just neat and potentially useful. The process migration
    > thread just made me think about them and suggest potential other (simular)
    > uses for it.

    I think fault tolerance is a wonderful thing. But process migration seems
    to me to be like virtual memory file systems, a clever idea with no
    clear applications.

    Victor Yodaiken
    Department of Computer Science
    New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology
    Socorro NM 87801
    Homepage http://www.cs.nmt.edu/~yodaiken
    PowerPC Linux page http://www.cs.nmt.edu/~linuxppc
    Real-Time Page http://luz.cs.nmt.edu/~rtlinux

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.033 / U:1.724 seconds]