    SubjectRe: Since no one else has stepped forward: 'ZeroD' patch
    In message <m0vi2Ft-0007krC@dingo.theplanet.co.uk>you write:
    >} Ingo Molnar <mingo@pc5829.hil.siemens.at> writes:
    >}
    >} > Here is a patch that implements 'ZeroD', a simple kernel thread that uses
    >} > up CPU idle time to keep a pool of pre-zeroed pages around. Almost
    >} > anything that doesnt burn 100% CPU time all the time should benefit from
    >} > this.
    >}
    >} Hmm, did you check that this hasn't a bad effect on the cache memory when
    >} a cpu intensive process has to sleep for short times?
    >} A /proc/sys interface to tune it would be nice too.
    >
    >This would also presumably affect the heat production of the CPU -
    >especially on hot Cyrixs!
    >
    >Does it spend all the idle time doing this, or just a part??
    Just a part, until its zero-page-pool is full. The patch uses
    a size of 50 pages. Bad interactions with the 1nd./2nd. level
    cache could still happen though (on the Alpha and on the Sparc
    platform too). We would at least need some benchmarks to check
    that it is worth the effort.

    -Andi

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.019 / U:59.780 seconds]