SubjectRe: Log read permissions
On Thu, 30 Jan 1997, Chris Evans wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jan 1997, Richard Gooch wrote:
>
> > > Well then put your self in a 'logadm' group which has permission to read
> > > your kernel log file.
> >
> > I note you've chopped my comment about an ordinary user wanting to
> > check the floppy drive. So you still haven't addressed my concerns.
>
> Have your syslog.conf dump kernel messages to the console if you want.

Just for reference, what I've done for a long time now is have syslog send
messages to disk as normal, and also send it to tty23. I use dmsg to keep
everything but KERN_EMERG messages from going to the console and hosing
displays. (I check the log on tty23 from time to time.)

I had a problem with all kinds of garbage, such as floppy drive error
messages, CDROM error messages, and so on all going to the console. They
of course didn't even go to the console of the process that triggered the
message, but rather to whatever the current console was. I finally got fed
up and just put a 'dmesg -n1' in my boot scripts.

--
"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold. Mere anarchy is loosed upon the
world; The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.150 / U:0.048 seconds]