    SubjectRe: How to increat [sic.] max open files?
    > I think that a task, process, program, etc., that needs more than 100
    > file handles is improperly written. Keeping that many files open at any
    > one time will cause file destruction if the system crashes. On the other
    > hand, opening/reading/writing/closing files in rapid sucession is not
    > very efficient. A file-handle limit forces a programmer to think about
    > this and design (rather than just write), the program.

    I agree - but the problem isn't usually files, it is TCP sockets which use
    file descriptors. The software should multiplex the sockets, but I rarely
    see software that does this. UDP is an even better solution IMHO, as a
    single UDP socket can serve any number of clients.

    There are two WELL KNOWN problems with increasing the limits too: the
    kernel stack is too small, and a large amount of non-kernel code needs
    to be compiled with the new limits. In order to achieve this, there
    _MUST_ be agreement between _ALL_ distribution packagers, not just
    developers and Linus.

    Andrew E. Mileski
    Linux Plug-and-Play Kernel Project
    XFree86 Matrox Team

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.018 / U:2.064 seconds]