    SubjectRe: Adaptec AHA2940
    On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, Bjarni R. Einarsson wrote:

    > Researching mailing list archives gave me the following clues:
    > 2. AHA-2940 wants to be in PCI slot #1.
    > Basically the card seems pretty sensitive.. tip #2 solved my problem.
    > Merely pulling the card out and moving it to another slot was what solved
    > my problem. :-/

    I have regrettably have many handfuls of various scsi controllers, of
    these, the adaptecs are my favorites (I as yet have no buslogics). I think
    that you might have some problem with the computer bios setup, the adapter
    bios setup, perhaps a bad PCI connector, or just a instance of a flaky
    card (It must happen, but it has never happened to me).

    In my experience adaptec controllers are very good. One of my favorites
    is the 1452, while not exceedingly fast, it seems to be able to talk to
    any mixture of scsi devices (it is nice way to get the low bandwith
    devices off of fast busses). I think that all of the major brands are all
    pretty good.

    You have to be careful that you don't have an infrequent device failure or
    more likely, a bad cable. While the scsi specification prescribes a
    number of constraints (e.g. the cable must not be flat against a chassis),
    in reality, you can be pretty liberal with the routing, length and
    positioning of connectors on scsi cables, but you can cause yourself

    One culprit is the connection of the crimp-on connector "tangs" to the
    individual ribbon cable conductors itself. It is easy for failures to
    occur there, especially if the ribbons have mono-filament conductors. The
    usual crimp-on connector will often not reliably contact the monofilament
    conductors. The multi-stranded conducters having a larger diameter are
    certain to make connection (this is unfortunate since electrically, the
    monofilament cables are slightly better).

    > I'm certainly not going to buy any more 2940's.

    Neither am I, I have enough of them to last me a lifetime.

    Ed Welbon;;

    If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite
    you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
    -- Mark Twain

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.020 / U:98.252 seconds]