    SubjectRe: the sickness continues

    > > The longer message is annoying for those who run Linux on a
    > > 20 char wide LCD display - I hate error messages that line wrap ;-)
    > > Plus - hands up who wants a bloated kernel ;-*
    > How about having a separate include file or set of directories and files
    > for just this purpose, customizable error messages. This way people can
    > work on and release their own custom 'flavor' of Linux by modifying these
    > files, which I assume would just include some const char*'s.
    > BIG_UNDERLINED variables could be used to reduce namespace pollution.

    Ack! We just finished a _huge_ bandwidth-waster on this one...(remember
    the "Jive...International Linux" thread?) Essentially, we couldn't agree
    on a kernel mechanism (or agree that a kernel mechanism was a good idea);
    best suggestion was for someone to write "translation tables" and a
    program/perl script that parses the source and replaces error strings
    according to those translations. There were simply no optimal schemes for
    doing things with compile directives (#ifdef ENGLISH) or at run-time
    (using char *'s).

    He feeds on ashes; a deluded mind has led him Adam Bradley, UNCA Senior
    astray, and he cannot deliver himself or say, Computer Science
    "Is there not a lie in my right hand?" Isaiah 44:20 <><

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.026 / U:52.628 seconds]