    SubjectPossible Kernel Memory Leak in 2.0.28
    Anyone else experience a _permenant_ depletion of memory after loading
    several large files in the gimp? Here's how I reproduce the problem.

    1. Enter a directory with many (11) large (898x596) jpeg files
    2. Start the gimp with 'gimp *'
    3. Exit the gimp by clicking on the afterstep close (X) icon in the
    upper left hand corner of its window.
    4. Repeat until system becomes unusable.

    After the gimp closes, I can't find it in 'top' or 'ps -aux'. I've
    replaced these tools to be sure. What appears to be happening is that
    memory is still allocated to this process after it has ended, and is
    never freed.

    After repeating this several times, you eventually deplete all the
    available physical memory and swap. Since no process is responsible for
    taking it up, there's nothing I can kill to fix the problem. I'm
    convinced something is wrong in the kernel that's causing the problem.

    Downgrading to 2.0.26 didn't help correct the problem.

    I'm using a standard 2.0.28 kernel, gcc and libc 5.4.17

    -Brian Ristuccia

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.018 / U:0.632 seconds]