    SubjectRe: Controller trashes FS (what's new)
    On Sun, 26 Jan 1997, Mike Kilburn wrote:

    > It was my understanding that you must re-format your
    > drive when switching SCSI controllers.
    I think you just might be right. This should not be, but different
    controllers have different scatter-gather logic. It turns out that
    logical sector X on one controller may be logical sector Y on another
    controller. It's not the low-level format that's different. A new
    file-system has to be built when installing a new controller.

    We will see. I have a new Linux file-system and a new MS-DOS file-system
    now... The other file system that is a "VMS/Clone" will have to wait. I
    will have to rebuild it from zillions of floppies.

    I think that a bad "seek", i.e., a read or write beyond the end of the
    physical media, caused Linux to be trashed. Therefore, subsequent writes
    were to __OTHER__ devices, not even "known" to Linux.

    The driver maintainer really should look at the exception handling.

    Dick Johnson
    Richard B. Johnson
    Project Engineer
    Analogic Corporation
    Voice : (508) 977-3000 ext. 3754
    Fax : (508) 532-6097
    Modem : (508) 977-6870
    Ftp :
    Email :,
    Penguin : Linux version 2.1.21 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.028 / U:3.912 seconds]