    SubjectRe: stable kernel, when?

    > Any ideas? I know Linus is -very- busy, but there is NOT ONE
    > stable kernel available, neither 2.0 nor 2.1 works
    > (2.0.26 was the *best* kernel since 1.3.x!)

    Noone said that 2.0 is already finally debugged. Not only ISDN
    still tends to bugs.

    I have just had another crash with machines that were running
    fine for months. #1 crashed shortly after turning quotas on.
    The bit of data I have let's me suspect that the quota support
    in 2.0 is still buggy. I had many processes with WCHAN == "down"
    waiting to do I/O from the quota partition.

    Another bug seems to be related to the firewall packet logging when
    the machine can't write the log fast enough. Flood ping the machine
    from a local Ethernet (luckily a 64kbit/s BRI doesn't seem to be
    fast enough) crashes the machine reliably. Aside of the the way
    the kernel accounting of packets is implemented is more or less
    a bad joke performancewise.

    Expect that the LMP (Linux Maintenance project) will fix these
    problems in the near future. Thanks to them Linux 2.0.28 won't just
    be the last kernel in the 2.0 series as 1.2.13 was the last 1.2 kernel.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.017 / U:56.180 seconds]