    SubjectRe: Jive -> Kernel (International Linux)
    In linux.dev.kernel you write:

    >'bofh@snoopy.virtual.net.au wrote with particular insight...'
    >> Jmcc@cs.cmu.edu was known to have stated:
    >> > I've been following this discussion, and it seems that the best approach
    >> >would be to have a new interface to klogd, that puts out '[nn]' prefixed
    >> >strings, followed by a default english interpretation. This way all
    >> >translating lookup can be done in user space...
    >>
    >> So you are suggesting having the kernel output both English error messages
    >> (suitable for straight dumping to /dev/console) and codes that klogd could use
    >> to load up strings in language files? I think that this idea would work.
    >> Klogd could then either pass on English strings or interpret the codes to
    >> another language, or it could just store the symbolic information to allow a
    >> log viewing program to view the logs in any language.
    >>

    > Yes, and the beauty of this is that

    > a) All existing klogd/syslogd implementations will
    > still work (and output readable info)
    > b) We can work on internationization incrementally
    > (driver by driver, filesystem by filesystem...)
    > c) We'll have an easy-to-parse stream to place
    > in error-logging databases

    Think it is better to leave out the magic number. Just have a message database
    which has the english messages and other languanged messages. Than you can do
    regex pattern matching and translate the messages this way.

    -- you would loose (c), it is'nt that easy to parse
    ++ it works without changing the kernel at all, just a filter program
    where you can pipe dmesg output or your log-files in
    ++ It is fail-proof: If a i18n message gets outdated, matching will fail
    and you'll get the up-to-date english message until you have the
    message database updated.

    Gerd

    --
    Q: What is WOM? A: Write Only Memory. Here is:
    l-w--w--w- 1 kraxel@cs.tu-berlin.de 9 Jan 1 19:70 .signature -> /dev/null

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.020 / U:0.164 seconds]